Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Challenge: Chromebook Basics

So, I am starting out with (what I thought would be) the easiest, simplest option here, since it is just a straight forward activity. You take a quiz, blog about it, badabing, badaboom, credit hour. Well, even though I currently am working as a middle school librarian with the "Chromebook Lady" sitting at the next desk over, this was fairly challenging and I learned some cool tricks that I know some of the students I work will will appreciate.

So, I didn't create any new content, simply because this is just the basics. It was pretty straightforward, which was nice. It made it easy to read through the pages and make sure I understood the hints. What was challenging was that a lot of the minutiae doesn't make sense with the basic PC logic. I can read the pictures and use them, but the logic behind using Alt + Search to trigger caps really threw me for a loop.

I feel like this would be a great first stop for everyone, speaking from the substitute side of things, to successfully complete before they even walk into a tech training session. I've seen the trainings that we offer (for substitutes) turn stagnant because a majority of people don't know how even log into a Chromebook. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to offer high level trainings, but it makes sense that we have a tiered system, potentially even using these PD challenges, for people to move through the ranks of skilled teachers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you learned some cool tricks to share with students! I'm passing your suggestion to use this Challenge before coming to a tech training to the rest of our team. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete