Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Challenge: Google Sheets

Challenge: Google Sheets

  • What did you create, and why? I created a spreadsheet with the names of the students in English 12 STEM who will be competing in STEM Competitions during the second semester.
  • What went well for you? The form was simple enough for a beginner like me, but one that I really need.
  • What was challenging? I have no spreadsheet skills - neither with Sheets nor Excel. I really struggle with them, but it hasn't been a big deal because I've so rarely had to use them. Now that I'm in a new position as a TOSA, I find that I have a real need to be proficient with spreadsheets, The challenge is that I feel like I'm starting as a complete beginner and I need to be better, soon! Another challenge is that there are so, so many different features to use in Sheets (or Excel) that it's a little overwhelming.
  • What did you enjoy? I enjoyed feeling like I accomplished something. I genuinely need this spreadsheet next week. I enjoyed being okay with not having to know everything at once. I felt confident doing what I did.
  • What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families? I will share this particular document with the two English 12 STEM teachers and have them update student participation in the competitions. I need this information so that I can make bus and registration fee arrangements on a regular basis. In a few months I'll be managing the Sheet generated by the Google Forms for the STEM Expo Registration. That will be a huge and complex undertaking for me, but not for someone who knows how to use it well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a practical application for your spreadsheet! Sharing your sheet with other teachers for their input is so much easier than having multiple versions of a document. I hope other people use your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there are a lot of features in spreadsheets, but don't worry about trying to know them all. There are lots of resources out there that will help you with specific tasks. If you want to do something with your Sheet, search to see if it possible.

    ReplyDelete