Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Challenge: Google Sheets

Challenge: Google Sheets

  • What did you create, and why? I created a spreadsheet with the names of the students in English 12 STEM who will be competing in STEM Competitions during the second semester.
  • What went well for you? The form was simple enough for a beginner like me, but one that I really need.
  • What was challenging? I have no spreadsheet skills - neither with Sheets nor Excel. I really struggle with them, but it hasn't been a big deal because I've so rarely had to use them. Now that I'm in a new position as a TOSA, I find that I have a real need to be proficient with spreadsheets, The challenge is that I feel like I'm starting as a complete beginner and I need to be better, soon! Another challenge is that there are so, so many different features to use in Sheets (or Excel) that it's a little overwhelming.
  • What did you enjoy? I enjoyed feeling like I accomplished something. I genuinely need this spreadsheet next week. I enjoyed being okay with not having to know everything at once. I felt confident doing what I did.
  • What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families? I will share this particular document with the two English 12 STEM teachers and have them update student participation in the competitions. I need this information so that I can make bus and registration fee arrangements on a regular basis. In a few months I'll be managing the Sheet generated by the Google Forms for the STEM Expo Registration. That will be a huge and complex undertaking for me, but not for someone who knows how to use it well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found a practical application for your spreadsheet! Sharing your sheet with other teachers for their input is so much easier than having multiple versions of a document. I hope other people use your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete