Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

Challenge: Chrome Apps and Extensions

By Marsha Scott


What did you explore, and why?
For this challenge I explored the app Google Keep and the extension Share to Classroom. I used these two Google products since they are compatible with Google Apps for Education.
The app, Google Keep is a tool that could be used by students when taking notes during research projects. At this moment, students are using Google docs to write their notes and record their findings. For some students, using docs doesn’t seem to help them organize their findings or thoughts. I wonder if the Google Keep note “cards” would work better for students. By using Google Keep, students would also be able to manipulate their cards when organizing their writing.
I also wanted to explore the Share to Classroom extension because this is one way to quickly push out and share a webpage to students in Google Classroom.
What went well for you?
App: Google Keep
At the moment, I am personally trying out the app before downloading it on the students’ computers. One feature that I noticed is that the lists or notes can be copied to Google docs. Also I like the color coded notes to distinguish different thoughts or information.
Extension: Share to Classroom
I wanted more information to help better understand how to use “Share to Classroom” and found this helpful site:
Also I liked that while in the Share to Classroom settings, I can choose in Google Classroom- create assignment, create announcement, or create question, and then push out the website to students.


What was challenging?
Since I downloaded the extension Share to Classroom on my laptop, I am wondering what it looks like on the student’s laptop. Also I’m not sure I understand how students will share their resources with me.

What did you enjoy?
I enjoyed browsing through the apps and extensions. This challenge provided time for me to research some of the apps before attempting to use it with students.


What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
Using the Google Keep tool can be shared, so it could be used to share information or collaborate with other students on projects. Teachers could use it during grade level planning time to collaborate on lessons. For the Share to Classroom extension, I am still working out other ways to use this feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment