Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2016

Challenge: Research Skills

by Marsha Scott
Retrieved from http://www.bigwebmedia.co.za/keyword-research-from-an-seo-beginners-view/

Click here to view my three lessons on teaching students to use researching tools.
What did you create, and why?
For this challenge, I created three lessons using Google search tools and then taught the lessons to a group of students. Recently, my 5th grade ELL students were learning to write informational text using resources to support their topics. These three lessons helped students learn effective ways to use research tools.


What went well for you?
Planning the lessons and then actually implementing each lesson with students went well. After each lesson, I reflected and made adjustments for the next day. Students learned how to add pictures to their documents from their resources.


For the district database searches, I created a link on Google classroom for students to quickly access these sites.


What was challenging?
While the lessons went well, I need to consider introducing researching skills in the fall (and all year long) instead of focusing it during the spring semester. At this point in the year, students seem set in their ways when researching. For example, I noticed most students just use the omnibox to search for topics. Also students need more practice in learning to use keywords and filters to refine their searches.


What did you enjoy?
I enjoyed learning and exploring the research tools using the Google Training modules, the district’s elementary resources, and our own library site. Now I have a better understanding of how to teach and use these resources.


What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
Another teacher and I have created a Google classroom for our staff and I linked the district’s elementary resources on that site. Families can also access this link on my school website.

No comments:

Post a Comment